Wednesday, July 7, 2010

RAW SCHOOL 2010 Session 1- THE IMPORTANCE OF FEARLESSNESS by Third Domingo

July 7, 2010
Publicis Jimenez Basic

My officemate, Ariane, encouraged me to join her on this seminar organized by Creative Guild Raw School a few weeks back. As she related to me the curriculum, activities and the objectives of the workshop, I immediately said "yes, please include me on your confirmation" without hesitations at all. So, earlier this evening, we went to have the feel of joining such group for the first time. The first session by Third Domingo of Ideas X Machina welcomed us with a wishlist that we have to think over during the class and shall be discussed after the session. The wishlist were the things we want to see invented in our lifetimes.

As the session went on, it tackled mostly about importance of fearlessness and phobias advertising people should and shouldn't have. Fearlessness in summary is committing mistake at the early point of your career and throwing all the bad things and keeping the good ones. It's the courage to say or to do what you think would work (for your brand) even if it seems crazy. It's like seizing life at its best. Phobias, on the other hand are the things we should be ready to face and conquer each day. It's the attitudes we should watch and we should have in order for us to succeed in this industry.

Third has mentioned how beautiful it is to be young and how hard it can be when you get old. He said that "fearlessness looks good when you're in your 20's" (basically because it is something natural for young people). And "when you're old, your job is to act really smart", which seems harder for older people because as a friend of mine relates, "you have very small room to make mistakes as you mature."

Anyway, we wrap up by discussing the wishlist that we have thought of during the class: some inventions we want to have in our lifetime. Following are list of the wishlists of the participants. As these were related to the class, there had been giggles, laughs and whoa's. Nevertheless, it was a good exercise for young (and old) creatives.

> website na ini-imagine mo na lang ang stock photos
> foldable jet pack
> totoong penis enlarger
> world peace
> recycleable pancit canton
> pambura ng guilt
> pampa-bango ng tae
> beer na ini-inhale na lang
> BMX na may reverse
> Projector na puede sa bulsa
> ATM Machine na nagbu-boost ng moral support sa pera
> Voice command na photoshop
> Auto pampa-payat
> Automatic na pampalit ng damit
> Awkward silence stopper
> Pampaganda ng tunog ng utot (which lead Third to discuss his school project: The Fart Synthesizer)
> X-ray, alarm or beep for things you can't find for hours
> Automatic notebook that will record all your thought
> Pinto ng bahay, pagbukas at paglabas, office na
> Mass vehicle to outer space
> TV na may grado
> Unlimited pizza, kasi naubusan kami
> Arinola na may sensor para walang lampas
> Toothpaste na banana flavor
> Sapatos na nagsasabi pag may amoy na ang paa mo
> Sabon and sponge in one
> Food/Multivitamins na nagco-convert ng puyat into energy
> Cellphone na may share-a-batt
> Humps sa EDSA
> Tablet na temporarily nagpapa-impotent
> Kundoktor na walang putok
> Upuan na puedeng maging girlfriend o kaya masahista
> Sabon na hugis kamay

There's a thing that really made my gut turn upside down: THE HOMEWORK. Individually, we have to do an ad of ourselves, an ad for our own agency, an ad for a very successful brand and an ad for an international organization. There will be a contest of some sort and doing the homework can actually lead anyone of us to Cannes Lions. As I look up to the Headmaster, my body bent down as I feel a deep pain in the gut. It was the first time I felt something like that towards a challenge. Having this fantastic advertising people in one room, it made me feel insecure. It's the fear that came to me that at the end of it, I maybe laughed at, scrutinized and mocked. But as Third Domingo said, "fearlessness in initiative." This is our initiative. Me and Ariane. As for me, I found my fears in this workshop and I'm working on how to conquer them. In the next two weeks, I should be ready with my homework. I would learn how to conquer my fears and become the best that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment